Friday, May 4, 2012

Literary Devices in "Niteclub" by The Old 97's


Rhyme:
"Eighteen-hundred miles from this old nightclub 
A girl is turning 22 today. 
How am I supposed to entertain you? 
My fingertips are worthless when my mind's so far away. "

Here, we see an ABCB rhyme scheme, that rhymes 'today' and 'away'

Personification:
"The nightclub yawns and opens up it's doors." 
The nightclub is being personified, giving it the human trait, being able to yawn.


"Yeah this old nightclub stole my youth,
This old nightclub stole my true love,
It follows me around from town to town. "

Again, the nightclub is being personified, now possessing the abilities to steal and follow someone around.


Hyperbole:
"My fingertips are worthless when my mind's so far away. "
The word "worthless" is used here to exaggerate the singer's current state.


Pun:
"Well my angel of the morning is in mourning."
Here, both spellings of morning/mourning are used, both possessing different meanings.


Juxtaposition:
"Telephones make strangers out of lovers,
Whiskey makes the strangers all look good. "

Here juxtaposition is used to create a parallel between the effects of telephones and whiskey. (This is one of my favorite lines in all of music)

No comments:

Post a Comment